Thursday, October 11, 2007

P90X Masters Series


First there was Power 90. Then Power Half Hour. (Both of which I don't have). Then there was P90X, possibly the best home exercise system for advanced exercisers around. And of course, P90 Masters, to bridge the gap between Power 90 and P90X. But now... now Tony and his gang are working on a P90X Master's series. It's supposed to come out sometime in January. Calloo Callay! Oh frabjous day!

Here are some clips:








Ok, I can't say much for their form on this one, but it does look fun! The music sounds like it's the same as P90x, a guitar-heavy rock that would be over-the-top in other videos, but is absolutely perfect for P90X (and Masters, I hope)





Oh, and this one has me wondering if I can afford an authentic BeachBody Pullup Bar. Never mind that I have my own pull-up bar setup at home.




In that last one, when Tony's yelling out "He's kipping a little!" He's talking about a kipping pull up. Kipping 101: Kipping pull ups can allow someone with very limited upper body strength or who is very heavy to perform many many pull ups since it is more based on rhythm and momentum than strength. A kipping pull up, done correctly, is more than just kicking your feet wildly and flopping around on your way up to the pull up bar. A correctly done kipping pull up is fluid and powerful.

While a kipping pullup is easier on your direct pulling muscles, it's much harder on your grip and it's much more cardiovascular. It's a full body movement where you generate power at your hips - a similar use of the legs and hips to a kettlebell swing or a barbell snatch - just the opposite direction. It looks like this:





And with that, I think I'm done with my Youtube orgy.

No comments: