Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Recipe: Beans & Rice

I found this recipe and I think it will taste better than my current recipe (which is not bad, but very bland). Probably won't try it tonight, but I think I put red pepper and cider vinegar on the shopping list for next week. Also, I will probably use my slow-cooking enriched white rice for the brown rice. Why? It actually has the same amount of fiber and more nutrients than the brown rice that is sold commercially. I'm not ready to go shopping at Whole Foods or where ever just for rice. Once I have about 4 or 5 organic things that I decide I have to have and am sick of paying through the nose for, then we'll talk.


Beans & Rice
Total time to prepare : 15 min
Servings: 4


Ingredients
  • 1 cup instant brown rice

  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)

  • 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (2 cups)

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 19-oz can black beans, or dark red kidney beans, rinsed

  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar

  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Cook rice. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, cook for 2 min, stirring often. Add bell pepper and garlic, cook until softened (2-3 minutes) stirring often. Add beans, broth, vinegar, hot sauce and pepper. Cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Add the hot rice and cilantro; mix well.

Nutrition Information per serving:

Calories 252; Carbohydrates 42g; Dietary Fiber 10g; Fat 4g (Monounsaturated Fat 2g); Potassium 189mg; Sodium 429 mg.

No comments: