Sunday, October 21, 2007

Recipe: Easy Protein Waffles

In an effort to lower my sugar intake, I’ve been making protein waffles for breakfast for a few weeks now. These are super easy to make. I don’t eat them every day, but at least 2-3 days a week. I make them on the weekends and freeze them (they keep for up to 3 weeks frozen), then nuke them in the microwave for a minute. I like to measure out the syrup in a cute little fondue bowl (I knew I’d find a use for all my fondue crap one day). I use 1/4 cup of light syrup…only 100 calories, but it still has a ton of sugar, and dunk the waffle on my drive to work.

I’ve just tweaked this recipe to substitute ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce for ¼ cup vegetable oil. Lower in fat, and I think it makes the waffles even fluffier, if possible. Someday in the next few months, I'm going to start making these from scratch, in an effort to make a healthier waffle. I'm also looking for a topping with less sugar (or high-fructose corn syrup).




Easy Protein Waffles


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups waffle mix (I use Hungry Jack Extra Light and Fluffy Pancake and Waffle Mix)

  • 1 egg

  • 2 level scoops of protein powder (I use chocolate protein powder because, well, that's all I have)

  • 1 1/4 cups water

  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together (sometimes I use a hand mixer, if it's too lumpy). Spray waffle iron with Pam, then pour part of the batter into the hot waffle iron. Close and cook for 2-4 minutes (depending on the waffle iron and how well done you like your waffles). Repeat until all the mix is gone. Makes about 4 and 1/2 waffles, unless you pour heavy, then it makes 4.

Nutrition Information:
193 calories; 3.2 g fat; 49 mg cholesterol; 651 mg sodium; 31.7 g carbohydrates; .7 g fiber; 6.1 g sugar; 9.8 g protein; 18% calcium; 11% iron.

No comments: